Monday 10 August 2015

Early August 2015


It looked like the weather might be fine and co-inside with the right tides at Maryport to sail and Viv was needing a break from home as still not able to drive and shoulder slowly getting better. So we set off Monday and made our way up to Clithero and then onto the Forest of Bowland where we found a little pull in to stop for the night.


Whilst we were eating tea I could hear grouse calling on the hillside behind the van so I grabbed my binos and hiked up over the heather and was rewarded with sightings of Black and Red Grouse and a Short Eared Owl quartering the hill around me for over half and hour. At times so close I had to take the binos off it, a beautiful bird and one of my favourites.


Tuesday we moved on to Walnsey Isalnd by Barrow in Furness and explored the nature reserve there and spent the night in the car park of the Queen's Arms, Biggar where the landlady and I serenaded the locals for a few hours. She on vocals singing a selection of some cracking songs she had written and me on guitar and vocals. We have a standing invite to return.
The west coast of Cumbria is a forgotten gem with lovely deserted beaches and roads and plenty of places to explore and camp over for the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment