Monday 2 February 2015

In the garden Monday 2nd February


Started work on a job I've not been looking forward to and that was digging out the old compost, turning over the newer stuff and rebuilding the compost walls, a right good mucky job. However, as soon as I started I was joined by a couple of friends looking for a free feast.


The first one arrived pretty much as soon as started digging and very quickly got used to me and started to dart in and around my feet picking up grubs and worms. A bit later it was joined by a second who was little more shy at first but as I carried on digging both of them started to sit right next to me. Then just as I was finishing a third one came over but had to keep a bit of a distance as the first two would chase it off if it came to close to me.


This little feller was a Short-tailed Field Vole that had been nesting in the bottom of the compost heap, a bit dopey probably because of the cold and the fact I had disturbed it, I let it go in the branches around the little pond.


Before I came in the girls were calling as they could hear me walking about the garden so I picked their favourite for them a bunch of grass.


They seem to be coping with living out all year, I moved the box out of the wind the other day.


Left to right Sophie (@ Hairy McCleary), Sonia and Susan with a mouth full of grass.

No comments:

Post a Comment